WOW! Mmmmm…. mmmm… mmmm! I just had a rich creamy bite of what tastes like the best pumpkin pie you’ll ever have… except it’s actually a creamy, delectable “ice cream”.
OK, it’s actually an “ice milk”, but it’s nothing like the crummy ice milks you get in the grocery store.
Have you ever been trying to eat healthy, maybe lose a few pounds (or even a few hundred pounds… um hmmm, I can relate) and you were craving ice cream so badly that you settled for what the grocery store had to offer? If so — and if you bought the low fat or low sugar variety — you probably found it to be way too sweet, unbearably gummy, and more icy than creamy. I can honestly tell you I’ve never found one brand of reduced “anything” ice cream that I’ve even thought was worth eating. I’d rather go without, thank you very much. Or worse yet, far too often I’ve opted for the way too fattening and bad for you, full fat ice creams!
If you’ve been where I’ve been, I know you’ve experienced what I’ve experienced! Well, move over sister, today is a new day! Trust me on this, if you love pumpkin pie, and you love ice cream, you’ll L-O-V-E this Pumpkin-Maple Ice Milk recipe.
- First of all it falls within my “MAGIC” range. You know what I mean… anything under 8% total fat calories.
- Secondly, the flavor is to die for!
- Thirdly, you can pronounce every ingredient in it and each and every one of them is good for you!
- Fourthly (is that a word?), did I mention it’s delicious? Well it is!
Today is a beautiful spring day, the doors are open wide, and I was in the mood for ice cream! If you haven’t had home-made ice cream since the days of the “old-clunky-fill-it-up-with-salt-then-crank-the-handle-til-your-arm-falls-off” variety of ice cream makers, you’ve been missing out on one of life’s greatest treats!
A few years ago I got my Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic 1-1/2-Quart Ice-Cream Maker and I love it! It’s one of my “Can’t Live Without Items” that you can find in my Healthy Shop. It’s normally over $90, but as I write this, it’s on sale in my Amazon store for just $39.50! I use it all the time. It’s so simple to mix up a few ingredients and in as little as 25 minutes, I have fresh, homemade, healthy ice milk, frozen yogurt or sorbet! My friends, it’s time to enjoy frozen dessert again and this recipe is a great place to start!!
I hope you’ll make this and let me know if you love it as much as I do 🙂
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Coconut Secret – Raw Coconut Nectar Low Glycemic Sweetener (adjust for personal preference)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup organic skim milk
- 1 cup canned or fresh cooked pumpkin (unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (really, just a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- Combine nectar and egg in a bowl; stir with a wire whisk until blended.
- Heat 1 cup skim milk in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around edges of pan. (Do not allow milk to boil.)
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk into nectar mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160ᵒ, stirring constantly. (Mixture will not be thick.)
- Pour into a bowl; stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and chill.
When chilled, pour mixture into the freezer can of a ½-gallon electric freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Allow to ripen 1 hour in freezer can.
NOTE: Learn more about what Coconut Secrets products are all about and I L-O-V-E Coconut Secret so much . They’re nothing short of spectacular!
YIELD: 10 Servings (serving size 1/2 cup)
Calories: 111 (6% from fat)
CARB 22.5g / FIBER 0.4g / CHOL 23mg / IRON 0.8 mg / SODIUM 62mg / CALCIUM 163 mg
Do you have a favorite low fat ice milk recipe? I LOVE COMMENTS so chat away!
Peace, Love, and Sexy Desserts!