These delicious apples are a cross between a yummo apple pie and caramel apples. Too delicious for words and a real hit with my friends. Use this recipe as a jumping off point for your own inspiration.
This recipe, as shown, is definitely higher in calories than I like to have on a daily basis (but it does make a yummo treat). Dried fruit adds a lot of sugar and calories, so you can reduce the amount or leave it out completely. Why not include fresh cherries in place of the dried? You get the idea. This recipe is easily adapted to suit your tastes and your dietary needs.
Yield: 6 servings
Calories: 274 (13.1% of calories from fat) ♥ Fat: 4 g ♥ Weight Watchers: 5 pts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup Coconut Secret Coconut Crystals
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (I prefer raw)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 Gala apples, rinsed (organic if at all possible — apples are near the top of the “dirty dozen” list)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
- In a large bowl, mix together cherries, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Put aside.
- With a melon scooper, core apples to hollow out the middle. Do not go all the way through. Fill each apple core with dry cherry mixture.
- Pour apple cider into casserole dish and place apples right side up. Drizzle maple syrup on top of all the apples. Bake for 50 minutes AT 350°.